Photo Credit: bravo
He's been compared to an elf, a Hobbit and a garden gnome—and let's face it, Top Chef's Kevin Gillespie definitely knows how to work magic in the kitchen. He's been one of the strongest chefs all season, consistently wowing the judges with his soulful, inventive food (especially when it involves his favorite ingredient: pork). We asked him to explain the story behind his pig tattoo and reveal who he'd most want to open a restaurant with.
1. What’s the one holiday dish you would love to eat all year round?
2. What’s the best food or kitchen-related gift you ever got?
3. What was the dish or food you hated to eat the most as a kid?
4. What three things are always in your fridge?
Eggs, Arden’s Garden juice, condiments
5. What food always cheers you up?
6. What’s the one thing in your pantry you can never have too much of?
7. What's the one ingredient you'd always splurge on?
8. What's the best thing and worst thing about being on Top Chef?
It’s really the same thing: the response from people. It’s great to talk to people and be recognized, but the loss of anonymity is not as great.
9. How long have you had a pig tattoo? Why did you get it?
I’ve had it three years. All the tattoos on my left arm are images from life stories in the South. At the time I got the pig tattoo, I was living in Oregon and didn’t think I would ever move back. I wanted something that connected me to where I was from.
10. If you were going to open a restaurant with another chef from this season of Top Chef, who would it be and why?
Jennifer Carroll. We have very similar tastes. We have the same likes and dislikes, both visually and in food.