From the cheapest lounge chairs to easy-to-make decorations, here are 16 ideas that will turn your backyard into a festive entertaining space for family and friends.
Decorate with a Casual and Comfortable Feel
The key to creating a good space
- Start creating your backyard escape by surrounding yourself with items you love. Whether it's placing a collection of small glass bottles filled with daffodils on a side table or hanging wind chimes from a few tree branches, your styling choices should reflect your personal taste.
- "Treat your outdoor area as an integral part of your home," says Susie Coelho, star of HGTV's Surprise Gardener and author of Everyday Styling. "Break the psychological boundaries of the walls of the house by bringing indoor elements such as drapes, pillows, mirrors or candelabra out to the patio or yard."
Watch Video: White Sale
Where to look: Ikea, Crate and Barrel, Target.
Use Outdoor Accessories
Maybe your outdoor space is already the ideal haven, but it still needs a few extra touches. Whether it's a pillow, a hammock, umbrella or some cute table settings, the smallest extras can add so much.
- Author Susie Coelho suggests highlighting the colors in your outdoor area by using coordinated place mats, glassware, dishes and plants. "For a centerpiece with the spirit of the outdoors, collect old or new bottles in different sizes, shapes and colors. Group them together and fill each one with a different flower or sprig of greenery from the garden."
- Create an easy-to-make outdoor table with help from styling guru and Discovery Channel star, Christopher Lowell. Christopher suggests pairing a wicker basket or a large terra-cotta pot with a piece of glass to create a quick patio table. (Just be careful of the kids!)
- Free-float in the summer breeze with a hammock, or lie back under the cool shade of a colorful umbrella, and let the weight lift from your shoulders.
- Decorate your eating spaces with exotic bamboo place mats that will add style to any table, followed by some fun (and unbreakable) acrylic plates in pastel colors.
Where to look: Target, Crate and Barrel, Ikea, Pier 1.