Photo Credit: Getty Images
Well, it's that time again. The 2012 MTV Video Music Awards will bring its energetic, irreverent self to L.A.'s Staples Center on Thursday night. Last year, Beyonce used this event to break the news about her pregnancy. Who knows what will come out of this year's ceremony! Still not sure whether or not to tune in? Here are the facts about this year's show to help you decide.
1. MTV has scheduled this live show from 8 p.m. – 10 p.m. ET, so you can switch to the DNC convention at 10 to catch President Obama's speech. The show will also be streamed on MTV.com.
2. As usual, MTV has lined up the hottest artists of the moment to perform. This year, Rihanna (no doubt in something slinky) will kick off the show with A$AP Rocky, singing the remix of her Talk That Talk single "Cockiness," and with house DJ Calvin Harris for their collaboration, "We Found Love." Taylor Swift will sing her latest, ubiquitous hit "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together." Lil Wayne will perform his new single "No Worries." Pink and Alicia Keys will debut new songs, and other acts expected to perform are Nicki Minaj, One Direction, Pink, Green Day, Frank Ocean and 2 Chainz.
3. Here are the five vids up for Video of the Year…
4. This year's host, comedian Kevin Hart, has already warned celebrity guests that he'll be poking fun at them. "The beauty of me being the host is you don't know what to expect," he recently told reporters. "Nobody is off limits. I think it's my job to put the room in a place where people can relax and have a good time. And the best way to do that is to show people they can poke fun at themselves." Watch out, R-Patz and K-Stew!
5. If you want the full MTV experience, tune in at 6 p.m. ET for the Jersey Shore special, Gym, Tan, Look Back. And at 7 p.m., Demi Lovato is hosting the awards pre-show.