If you don't have time to pack lunch every night but are interested in having healthy meals and saving money (who isn't?), try these three delicious salads and one cold soup. They all lend themselves well to making in batches and will keep just fine for several days in the fridge.
Enough for 2-3 lunches
- Prepackaged tabbouleh wheat salad mix
- 1 cup seeded and quartered diced cucumbers
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup presliced olives, chopped
- 1/2 cup mint, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Prepare tabbouleh according to directions on box. Once it's ready, add other ingredients and mix until well blended. This salad can be taken to work in a sealed plastic container and eaten as is or used as a filling for a pita-bread sandwich. Take the pita bread separately and assemble the sandwich when ready to eat.
Chilled Cream of Gazpacho Soup
Enough for two servings
- 2 cups seeded and quartered cucumbers
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped green chilis
- 10 basil leaves
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 2 cups reduced-fat buttermilk
In a food processor or blender, combine ingredients until smooth, then add buttermilk. Stir until blended and take to work in an insulated beverage container. Enjoy soup with a whole-wheat roll, bagel chips or crackers.
Lentil Salad with Feta Cheese
Enough for two lunches
- 1 15-ounce can of cooked lentils
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2/3 cup feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
Combine ingredients in a bowl and keep chilled until ready to take to work in a sealed plastic container. This salad can be eaten as is or with pita crisps or whole-wheat crackers.
Carrot Beet Salad
Enough for 2 lunches
- 10-ounce bag pre-shredded carrots (4 cups)
- 15-ounce can julienned beets, drained (2 cups)
- 7 3/4-ounce can chickpeas, drained (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
Combine ingredients and keep chilled until taken to work in a sealed plastic container. This salad would also complement lamb or chicken when served at dinner.
- For more great lunch recipes, check the Recipe Finder.