In a newsletter, we put out a call for your favorite summer salads. Here are some of the wonderful recipes you sent in. They sound great, and, best of all, they are regulars you make all the time, so they are easy and reliable.
- Hester's Grilled Corn Salsa
- Christie's Family Version of Waldorf Salad
- Sally's Mesclun Salad
- Ola's Red Bean Salad
Hester's Grilled Corn Salsa
This is our favorite summer alternative to corn on the cob.
- 6 ears of corn, grilled and cut off the cob
- 1 large ripe tomato or 2 small, chopped
- 1 purple onion, chopped
- cilantro to taste
- lime juice (from a lime)
Mix all the ingredients and squeeze lime juice over the mixture to taste.
Tip for turning this salsa into a meal: Add a can of rinsed black beans to make it more of a dish than a salsa. Either way, we always make a double batch as everyone loves this dish!
Christie's Family Version of Waldorf Salad
They *love* this Waldorf-type salad in the summer. It's good for you too!
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (light or regular)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked chicken or turkey, cubed
- 1 20-ounce can pineapple chunks
- 1 8-ounce can mandarin oranges
- 1 cup seedless grapes
- 1 cup chopped apples
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Blend the first three ingredients. Then add the remaining ingredients and toss to coat. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
Sally's Mesclun Salad
"This salad is a meal in itself!"
- grilled shrimp (on the barbie)
- mesclun greens
- avocado, chopped
- smoked mozzarella cheese
- grilled asparagus tips
- roasted corn
- 3 parts virgin olive oil to 1 part balsamic vinegar
- chopped garlic
Ola's Red Bean Salad You just toss boiled red beans over lettuce and pour on a dressing made of:
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- some vinegar
- lots of lemon juice and a pinch of salt
For the red beans you can substitute white beans or boiled potatoes or add boiled chicken cut into pieces or tuna flakes. The nicest thing about salads is that they all taste great and need no effort to prepare.
For more great recipes, visit the Recipe Finder.
Have a balanced menu made just for you using the Meal Maker.