Photo Credit: Gettty Images
Wondering how to create a better morning routine, stay involved in your child's life while you're at work or make the most of your evenings at home? Get tried-and-true advice on ways to juggle work and family from other working moms. Then visit the Working Moms message board for more strategies and support.
How can I make mornings go more smoothly?
- Follow the same consistent routine each day so your children know what to expect.
- Get up before your kids do to exercise or have a quiet cup of coffee.
- Get showered and dressed before your kids wake up.
- Set out your kids' clothes the night before so there's no arguing about what to wear.
- Pack your children's lunches and backpacks the night before.
- Let children do as much as they can by themselves
--get dressed, brush their hair or pour themselves cereal. This can help them feel independent while also freeing you up to do other things.
- Keep breakfast simple and portable.
How can I stay involved in my child's school or daycare?
- Go on school field trips or volunteer in the classroom if you can take time off from work.
- Volunteer to help after work hours
--plan parties, prepare crafts, make phone calls.
- Stay in touch with your child's teacher or caregiver by phone and email.
- Donate snacks and supplies for parties or projects.
- Channel some of your work talents into volunteerism. Help build a Website for your child's daycare center, for example.
- Ask your caregiver to keep a journal of your child's activities and milestones.