Winner of the Frugal Living Tip of the Month Contest for October, iVillager 2crft4fr.
This month we asked our frugal living members how they found joy in their homes as the season turns cool and as the holidays come upon us.
While our members wrote about savoring simple pleasures (one member wrote about how baking cookies with her sons gave her joy), iVillager 2crft4fr inspired us with her easy and warming decorations.
Here's 2crft4fr's entry:
I love the fall and the cooler weather. Something happens: I start to add warmth through decorating.
- I add color here and there. For example, I have gone from hunter green to gold and blue in my kitchen and I made some new window toppers.
- I also brought in some of my garden before the frost. I placed some chives and a lovely African violet on the windowsill. Occasionally I buy some fresh flowers at the grocery for the table. I find them very uplifting.
- I like scented candles, soft music, a cozy throw and lots of pillows on the couch.
- Other things that bring me joy are homemade presents from my sisters and little gifts given to me by friends.
- I also love the birdfeeder at the kitchen window - I've got chickadees, nut hatch, tufted titmouse and the downy woodpecker. They always make me smile as I watch them pick just the right seed.
It's the small, yet very cozy things that keep me feeling safe and warm. There's no secret to this. I just surround myself with happy memories, things that my husband and I have collected, or refinished. We even have written dates on some of our finds. Finding things with my husband - that is my JOY!