Holistic veterinarians recommend these healthy housekeeping habits to keep fleas at bay:
1) Vacuum your home weekly. Don't forget the crevices of couches and chairs and cracks in basement cement floors. Best bet: a vacuum cleaner equipped with a "beater bar" that is powerful enough to suck up adult fleas, larvae and eggs. Seal the bag and toss it outside in a garbage bin (with a lid) as soon as you've finished vacuuming.
2) Run a flea comb through your animal at least twice a week. With each stroke, dip the comb in a bowl of hot soapy water or diluted rubbing alcohol. Fleas can't swim.
3) Toss your pet's bedding in the washer weekly in hot water. Include your pet's favorite rugs and towels.
4) Scrub your pet's favorite chew toys, collar, and litter box pan in hot soapy water weekly.
5) Patrol your yard weekly. Clear out sun-blocking vegetation near the home, rake up wet leaves and wet grass clippings, and do not store garbage under porches. All of these conditions attract fleas.
Article courtesy of PETsMART.com