Here are a eight easy, inexpensive ways you can change your decor for spring, just by adding or changing your pillow, courtesy of Pillow Decor Ltd. Plus, find out which pillows are the most popular.
- Use pillows as art: Use hand painted, one-of-a-kind pillows to add original art to your home, or try a pillow that features the work of one of your favorite artists. They are so easy to decorate with, and don't leave holes in the wall!
- Seasonal makeover: Update the look of your home seasonally with new pillow covers and accessories. Most pillow covers have zipper closures, so you can put lighter colored pillow covers on your existing pillows for a fresh look. Just store your fall and winter pillow covers flat in the linen closet. Choose lighter weight silks with a slight sheen to capture the light and add sparkle to your room.
- Mix fabrics like a pro: Professional designers combine different fabrics, shapes and sizes for a layered look. Mix florals, stripes, textures and solid colored pillows and build a collection of different fabrics to add color and personality to your home. Unify an open plan décor with fabrics that reflect and tie together the colors in the rooms.
- Inexpensive updating: To modernize an outdated room or sofa, pick new pillows in a color that you like. It will let you test out the new colors in the room, and begin the transformation. You don't have to redo the whole room at once; reupholster that sturdy reading chair and ottoman or throw in a cozy chenille. Do it piece by piece as budget allows.
- Bring the outdoors inside: Botanical and floral print pillows will bring the feel of the outdoors in. Combined with textured fabrics, they’ll make your décor feel more connected to the earth even in the heart of the city!
- Take the indoors out: Decorative pillows offer an ideal way to help transform your outdoor living space into a comfortable continuation of your home. Whether it's a kitchen, family room or bedroom that opens up onto a deck or poolside patio, try using throw pillows that pull from the dominant color of the adjacent indoor room. The transitional effect will create harmony and continuity between your indoor and outdoor living spaces. Don't hesitate to use designs that might typically seem unfitting for the outdoors. Go with pillows that feature bold circles, stripes or colors not standard of nature, such as black and white. The pillows will stand out amongst all the earthy greens and browns and really spice up that outdoor space!
- Keep the peace: She wants mauve florals, he wants green and orange geometric pillows. Compromise with pillow covers in each color scheme and theme, and alternate them occasionally. Or try finding some common ground with a coordinating pair that combines the 'Yin' and the 'Yang'. Your room will feel new, and the change will be refreshing. Everybody's happy!
- Dressing up a child's room: For the kid whose room is never tidy, solid color pillows will help create a less cluttered look. Or if texture and pattern is what you are after, you can add wide wale corduroy or striped pillows to a boy's room, and wavy or florals for the girls. Choose soft, durable pillows for a child's room made from microfiber suede. The microfiber fabrics are so tightly woven that they are tougher and more durable than most other fabrics. Spills just bead up and roll off, and they can be wiped clean with a damp cloth! Large floor pillows are perfect to sprawl on while reading a book or playing a game.
- What's hot now: The hottest new pillows are the versatile rectangular shape, sometimes referred to as "lumbar pillows". They can be used in so many ways, to add back support or color to an armchair, or nestled against each arm of your sofa. Layer them in front of larger, square pillows in the corner of your sectional, or on a window seat or daybed. Add one in front of pillow shams to give your beds a decorative touch. On a low backed, clean lined sofa, place one at the back of each seat cushion.
See more ideas for decorating with pillows from Pillow Decor Ltd.