Despite what some commercials may have you believe, women run for more reasons than to grab a 100-calorie Oreo Cakester – we do it for things like, you know, health and fitness and to look good, too. But when we run, we do it differently than men. Our bodies aren’t built the same, which is why, for example, women are more prone to knee injuries (our hips are wider, so the angle of the femur, running from hip to knee, is greater, placing more strain on the knee socket and ligaments).
To help address these kinds of differences, adidas has a new shoe out: The women’s Supernova Sequence 2. I’ve tried it out (even thought I don’t run anymore, I do walk everywhere) and it’s wonderful – super comfortable, sturdy, and somehow doesn’t make my Size 10s look like canoes. You now have a chance to win a pair as well! First, read below about some of the differences between women's and men’s running patterns, courtesy of adidas.. Then, leave me a comment letting me know what your number one summer walking or running goal is (by midnight CST Monday 6/29/09) and I’ll let one random commenter know by announcing it on this blog on Tuesday!
What do we know about the way women run (vs. men)?
1. We weigh less, which means there’s less impact per foot strike.
2. Women have more flexible ligaments and tendons in the feet Not surprisingly, the #1 complaint from women heard by adidas is that their running shoes are too hard and they want something softer.
3. We have different touch-down behaviors Women land more centered at the heel due to different body alignment.
4. We have a tendency towards late-stage pronation Pronation (learn more here) is normal for runners, but women have a later-stage pronation than men.
5. We are cuter (OL, that last one came from me.)
How did adidas address this with their new Supernova shoe?
*They created open flex grooves on the lateral side forefoot that match women’s bone structure, giving the feeling of softness.
*They created a platform at the toe to offer greater stabilization for pronation purposes.
*They enhanced the fit at the ball of the foot to relieve pressure at this impact spot.
*They adjusted the heel unit to offer maximum benefit at impact.
*They created a softer midsole compound for more comfort, with soft and flexible inserts which diminish friction.
*Please see my website, located at lrdiaries.com, for more information and official rules. Please note, I am the sole sponsor of this promotion. iVillage is not a sponsor or administrator of this promotion.