Amy Winehouse Died of Alcohol Poisoning

A British coroner rules "alcohol toxicity" as the official cause of the singer's untimely passing, calling it a "death by misadventure"

A coroner's report has finally revealed the cause of Amy Winehouse's death: alcohol poisoning. British coroner Suzanne Greenway told a London court Wednesday that the "Rehab" singer's blood-alcohol level at the time of her death was as much as five times the legal drunk-driving limit.

"She had consumed sufficient alcohol... and the unintended consequence of such potentially fatal levels was her sudden and unexpected death," Greenaway said. She deemed Winehouse's passing a "death by misadventure," with the official cause listed as "alcohol toxicity."

Greenway added that two large bottles and one small bottle of vodka were discovered in the bedroom of Winehouse's North London home, where the singer was found dead on July 23 at the age of 27.

Before her death, Winehouse had reportedly tried to go cold turkey and abstain from alcohol. This led the singer's family to suggest that she died of alcohol withdrawal. As the coroner's report concludes, however, Winehouse suffered a relapse toward the end, and her return to drinking -- not drug use -- caused her death.

The testimony of Winehouse's doctor, Christina Romete, was in line with the coroner's findings. Earlier on Wednesday, she told the court that she had seen Winehouse the day before her death, and Amy had indeed started to drink again after a period of abstinence.

Romete described Winehouse as "tipsy" but "calm" and "able to hold a conversation" during her checkup. The physician said she had no reason to believe that Amy's passing was anything but an accident. "She didn't want to die," said Romete. "She was looking forward to the future."

Winehouse's father Mitch and mother Janis were onhand for the coroner's verdict -- and seem glad to have a bit of closure.

"It is some relief we finally found out what happened to Amy," Winehouse's family said in a statement to CNN. "We understand there was alcohol in her system when she passed away; it is likely a build up of alcohol in her system over a number of days. The court heard that Amy was battling hard to conquer her problems with alcohol and it is a source of great pain to us that she could not win in time."

Like this? Want more?
preview
Connect with Us
Follow Our Pins

Yummy recipes, DIY projects, home decor, fashion and more curated by iVillage staffers.

Follow Our Tweets

The very dirty truth about fashion internships... DUN DUN @srslytheshow http://t.co/wfewf

On Instagram

Behind-the-scenes pics from iVillage.

Best of the Web