Pasta with Asparagus
anne_sf didn't specify amounts, but this recipe seems easy to adjust according to how many people you're cooking for and how much of each thing you like (garlic, parmesan cheese and so on).
- penne pasta
- pine nuts
- basil leaves
- olive oil
- fresh parmesan cheese
- hot red pepper flakes (optional)
- Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- Lightly toast a handful of pine nuts in a small non-stick skillet, stirring constantly. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Add penne pasta to boiling water and cook according to package directions.
- Cut asparagus spears on the diagonal 1-1/2 inches long; set aside.
- In the skillet, saute some crushed garlic in olive oil. Have ready torn or sliced fresh basil leaves; use the whole bunch if you love it like I do.
- Grate up a nice pile of parmesan cheese.
- Warm a serving bowl in the oven. When the pasta is almost ready, add the asparagus to the water for the last minute or two.
- Drain quickly and place in the warm bowl. Pour on the warm olive oil. Add the pine nuts and a nice handful or two of cheese. Use lots of fresh ground pepper and some hot red pepper flakes too, if you like them.
WATCH: How to Cook Pasta