Photo Credit: 20th Century Fox
Avatar is ending the decade with a 3D bang, so it should be no surprise to anyone that a sequel is already in the works. Multiple sequels, in fact! Director James Cameron always envisioned the movie as part of a franchise, much like his Terminator movies -- it's part of how he convinced 20th Century Fox to spend $400 million dollars on it. Here's what we know so far about Cameron's ideas for the new Avatar movies:
- There are two planned sequels. But unlike say, Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter Cameron says the Avatar films won't be one continuous story -- they'll be self-contained pieces.
- Your two favorite N'avi will be back. "We'll follow Jake and Neytiri," Cameron told MTV News.
- The next movie may leave the planet Pandora. Cameron mapped out an entire fictional solar system for Avatar, of which the N'avi's planet is just a single moon. "We have some story ideas for how to branch out into other moons of Polyphemous," the director told the L.A. Times. (Here's a guide to the universe of Avatar, if you're interested.)
- On the other hand, the next movie may just delve deeper into the planet we've already seen. Producer Jon Landau has said, "Here we are exploring the surface of the planet Pandora. The interior remains to be seen." Slashfilm guesses that James Cameron, famously obsessed with water, has an amazing underwater environment mapped out for Pandora. Makes sense to us -- the N'avi look like they'd be excellent swimmers.
- Unlike Avatar, the sequels won't take four years to make. So we'll be exploring new three-dimensional Imax worlds in no time.
Plus: Are You Addicted to Sequels?
Chime In: What do you want to see in an Avatar sequel?