Baby's Second Year -- Your 20-Month-Old

YOUR CHILD'S HEALTH AND SAFETY

Be sure you know what to do if your child ingests a poison. First, determine what your child may have ingested and call your local Poison Control Center immediately. It is a good idea to keep the phone number posted near your telephones. Take the bottle to the phone with you so you can answer any questions about the contents. If your child has collapsed or is not breathing, call 911. Do not give your child anything by mouth or induce vomiting unless you're instructed to do so. Keep one one-ounce bottle of syrup of ipecac on hand for each child in your household and replace prior to the expiration date. Above all, remain calm. Not only will you be better able to explain the situation to emergency personnel and follow their instructions, you'll help your child stay calm as well.

Find out what every parent must know about poison prevention

Print out this check list to help you poison-proof every room in your home

Be sure that your house does not contain unsafe levels of asbestos. Asbestos has been proven to cause certain types of cancer when the fibers are inhaled into the lungs. The Consumer Product Safety Commission has issued a warning to consumers to heighten awareness of products still on the market that contain this dangerous substance.

Get more information on asbestos and other potentially dangerous materials in your home

Protect your child from insect bites. Become familiar with the dangerous insects and spiders that share your corner of the world. Be aware that seemingly harmless insects, such as ticks and mosquitoes, can be dangerous. Take precautions to safeguard your child:

Connect with Us
Follow Our Pins

Yummy recipes, DIY projects, home decor, fashion and more curated by iVillage staffers.

Follow Our Tweets

The very dirty truth about fashion internships... DUN DUN @srslytheshow http://t.co/wfewf

On Instagram

Behind-the-scenes pics from iVillage.

Best of the Web