Artemis represents the woman whose independent spirit belongs to no one but herself. She is complete within herself. Her power derives from the boundaries she erects around herself. Unlike other feminine deities, Artemis is not defined by relationships (as Aphrodite is defined by her relationship to her lovers). If you feel complete without a male partner, the Artemisian spirit is dominant in you. Your true relationship is with yourself. The woman influenced by Artemis does not enter into relationships that require her to compromise her essential nature. She is a guiding force for anyone who does not know how to set emotional boundaries.
How often have you become vulnerable to the manipulations and influences of others, focusing on them instead of yourself? How often have you lost your sense of self or gotten involved in adverse situations? For help with this, you can look to Artemis as your role model for defining personal boundaries. She will help you hold onto your true self in all relationships, especially romantic ones.
Artemis can be a powerful guiding force in your relationships with men. When she interacts with others, she does so on her own terms; she remains firm and uncompromised. She never forgets who she is. True Artemisian women have platonic relationships with men. I am not suggesting that you should choose virginity as a way of life, because you must not ignore your Aphrodite either. The goal is to integrate your Artemisian spirit with Aphrodite's capacity for love, incorporating the best qualities of both. While Aphrodite is expressing herself, Artemis can maintain your boundaries, resulting in the ability to have balanced relationships with the men in your life. With Artemis by your side, you will not be tempted to betray yourself in relationships
Artemis is single-minded, possessing focus, confidence and independence. Her attitude says, "I can take care of myself." Whenever you find yourself treated with disrespect or condescension, Artemis can help you respond in a forthright manner, assume your strength and express your honest feelings. If you feel awkward or uncomfortable, she can help you call upon your inner power. The woman who develops the independent spirit and focus of Artemis is a woman who radiates a strong sense of self.
So, how can you get in touch with Artemis and increase her influence in your life? You must learn how to set boundaries. I want you to do at least one of the following exercises:
- Practice the art of graciously saying "no" without feeling guilty.
- Write down a list of your likes and dislikes about your romantic relationship. Gear yourself up to express these to your partner. Be careful not to make him the bad guy
--these are your feelings; they do not make him wrong.
- When the phone is ringing and you are otherwise engaged or simply do not feel like answering it, don't.
- Choose to spend time with the positive people who increase your energy rather than with people who deplete it.
- The next time your partner asks you to express a preference ("What movie do you want to see?" "Where do you want to eat?"), instead of saying "I don't care," tell him what you really want.
- Acknowledge to yourself the things you do well. If it will help you, make a list and keep it in your purse or night table or desk drawer so that you can easily refer to it.
Other exercises that will help you get in touch with Artemis:
- Find a physical activity that you enjoy, preferably something outdoors. Take walks in the park or hike in the woods. Let nature infuse your spirit.
- Commit to new experiences and adventures. Artemis has a deep desire for new experiences, especially those involving the outdoors and friendship with other women. List outings you can plan by yourself or with female companions, such as a "women only" camping trip, afternoon hike or weekend visit to a rustic spa. Try to schedule a trip for the not-too-distant future.