- 2 tbsp butter
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp grated gingerroot
- 1-1/2 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp each ground coriander and ground turmeric (see tip below)
- 1/2 tsp each ground cinnamon and ground cumin
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 whole cooked rotisserie chicken, skin removed and meat cut up (see tip below)
- 1/3 cup light sour cream (not fat free)
- 1 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
- Hot cooked basmati rice (optional)
Melt butter in a deep, 10-inch skillet or soup pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook slowly, stirring often, until onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Add gingerroot, chili powder, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, and cumin. Cook 1 more minute. Add drained tomatoes, broth, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat.
Transfer half the sauce to a blender and purée until smooth. Return puréed sauce to pot with remaining sauce. Mix well and return to heat. Stir in cut-up chicken. Cook until chicken is heated through. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and cilantro. Serve over hot basmati rice, if desired.
Makes 5 servings
PER SERVING: 297 calories, 10.5 g total fat (4.5 g saturated fat), 33 g protein, 18 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 102 mg cholesterol, 395 mg sodium
From Eat, Shrink and Be Merry by Janet and Greta Podleski