Photo Credit: Getty Images
Talk about marital bonding! Newlywed country stars Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert keep having the year of their lives, each winning a Country Music Association Award for male and female vocalist of the year Wednesday night.
After Lambert, 28, won her trophy, she said: "Congrats to my hubby too," before addressing her husband directly. "It's gonna be a good night tonight baby!"
The 35-year-old "Footloose" singer responded from the audience by rubbing his hands together knowingly and flashing his beautiful wife a sly, winning grin.
The star-studded ceremony, hosted for the fourth time by a jokier-than-usual Carrie Underwood and Brad Paisley at Nashville's Bridgestone Arena, offered plenty of other country performers a reason to celebrate too -- albeit perhaps not that obviously.
The Band Perry won three CMAs their first year as nominees. The trio, which consists of siblings Kimberly Perry, Reid Perry and Neil Perry, took home country's top honors for new artist of the year, single of the year and song of the year for their hit single, "If I Die Young."
Before the awards show began, frontwoman Kimberly Perry said on the red carpet: "We have six pairs of fingers crossed!" It looks like their finger-crossing worked, since they swept their three categories.
Crossover pop-country sensation Taylor Swift won the night's most coveted prize: entertainer of the year. "You have made my year," she said, giving shout outs to singers she's collaborated with, including Justin Bieber, Kenny Chesney and Nicki Minaj.
Vocal duo of the year winners Sugarland -- Jennifer Nettles and Kristian Bush -- paid tribute to their fans, particularly Midwestern fans who stood by their side after the tragic stage collapse that killed seven and injured dozens of concert-goers at the Indiana State Fairgrounds in August.
"Our fans saved us this year," Bush said as he accepted the award. "Thank you to our good folks in Indiana."
And the Winners Are:
- Entertainer of the Year: Taylor Swift
- Male Vocalist of the Year: Blake Shelton
- Female Vocalist of the Year: Miranda Lambert
- New Artist of the Year: The Band Perry
- Vocal Group of the Year: Lady Antebellum
- Vocal Duo of the Year: Sugarland
- Single of the Year: "If I Die Young" by The Band Perry
- Album of the Year: "My Kinda Party" by Jason Aldean
- Song of the Year: "If I Die Young" by The Band Perry
- Musical Event of the Year: "Don't You Wanna Stay" by Jason Aldean with Kelly Clarkson
- Music Video of the Year: "You and Tequila" by Kenny Chesney featuring Grace Potter
- Musician of the Year: Mac McAnally