Photo Credit: FOX via Getty Images
Well, here's some toxic news for Britney Spears fans. Sources tell TV Guide she's leaving The X Factor before the show can fire her. "The producers felt she didn't meet the expectations that came along with her $15-million contract," writes the magazine's Natalie Abrams. Yep, apparently, a downward slide in the ratings wasn't what producers had in mind.
"There have been claims that Simon Cowell was about to fire the 31-year-old for being boring, and providing low energy on the show," says the voiceover in this Huffington Post clip. "The pop star jumped before she was pushed, as Cowell was going to end her $15-million contract."
Ah, well. Maybe it's for the best. But we'd still miss her if these reports turn out to be true. Here's why.
1. Spears' persona is sexy on stage, sweet off stage. So watching her in a live setting, where she occasionally showed her mean side, was kind of fascinating. Make no mistake, she's a diva: "I want to know who let you on stage," she told a creepy contestant. "I feel uncomfortable with you even staring at me." Click here to see this total mean girl in action!
2. And once she'd established her true diva nature, wasn't it fun watching her play a diva prank in episode 5? It took her manager less than five seconds to convince her to pick on a P.A.
3. Sure, Simon's right. She was often too subdued. But all it took was a little unexpected thunder, and she made the best scared face ever. Remember?
4. The mini clap. Oh how we'll miss the mini clap!
5. There's just something about Britney. “People remain fascinated with her and always will," says Fox President Kevin Reilly. "Maybe people were waiting for more drastic displays that never came. But…she tucked in really nicely on that bench." That said, we get it: When you're being paid $15 million, "tucking in nicely" doesn't quite cut it.
Will Brit's career survive this? You bet it will. Her career is already on its sixth or seventh life! "It's Britney, bitch!" (Her words.)