This activity will teach children about measurement values. By recording their own measurements and comparing them with others in the family, they will not only have a real-life understanding of what the numbers represent but will also appreciate watching the numbers and themselves grow.
What this activity will develop:
Math and physical skills
What you'll need:
• Yardstick or meter stick
• Two different-colored markers
• Chart paper
What to do:
1. Cut a long length of string for each person.
2. Each person measures his or her height and ties a knot in the string to show the measurement. Color the knot with a marker.
3. Choose a partner and measure each other's arm span. Tie a knot to show that measurement, and color it with the other marker.
4. Compare the different measurements. Is the height measure- ment longer or shorter than the arm span measurement?
5. Use the yardstick or meter stick to convert the measurements to inches or centimeters.
6. Make a chart listing the height and arm span for each person.