Children will both expand their vocabularies and learn the correct spellings of the new words in this simple but engrossing game.
What this activity will develop:
Vocabulary and thinking skills
What you'll need:
Game leader 3 to 20 players
What to do:
1. The leader begins the game by printing a three-letter or four- letter word on the chalkboard.
2. The other players take turns making a new word by changing one letter. The game leader prints the new word under the last word. For example, if the first word is bake, the list might look like this:
3. The game leader may consult a dictionary to check spelling or to verify a word.
4. When the players can no longer make a new word, the last player to make a word becomes the new game leader and picks another word for the next round.
5. Keep track of the number of words made on each round, and try to beat the record.
Play the game with two teams. Each team gets the same word and makes a list of the new words made. The team with the most words wins.