Cancel The Chocolate

No holiday chocolate for Max or Fluffy! For pets, chocolate is a tasty toxin, which causes serious health problems. It contains a compound called theobromine, which, like caffeine, is dangerous to dogs and cats when eaten in large quantities, says Mary Labato, D.V.M., clinical assistant professor at the Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine in North Grafton, Massachusetts. Baking chocolate, with nearly nine times more theobromine than milk chocolate, is particularly dangerous, but either kind can cause problems, she warns. A toxic dose of theobromine for a 20-pound dog is about 1,000 milligrams -- the amount found in 28 ounces of baking chocolate. If you're not sure how much your pet already ate, call your vet immediately for advice.

Bottom line: Never leave chocolates unattended.

Join us on a message board to learn more:

Like this? Want more?
preview
Connect with Us
Follow Our Pins

Yummy recipes, DIY projects, home decor, fashion and more curated by iVillage staffers.

Follow Our Tweets

The very dirty truth about fashion internships... DUN DUN @srslytheshow http://t.co/wfewf

On Instagram

Behind-the-scenes pics from iVillage.

Best of the Web