Carbon Monoxide: The Senseless Killer

Every year, nearly 300 people in the United States die from this toxic gas.

Can you tell - can you smell - what gas it is?

THE ANSWER
The poisonous gas that kills nearly 300 people in their homes each year has no smell. What's more, it has no taste and no color.

The gas is carbon monoxide (CO), and it is truly a "senseless" killer.

WHAT IS CARBON MONOXIDE?
Carbon monoxide is produced by burning any fuel. Therefore, any fuel-burning appliance in your home is a potential CO source.

When appliances are kept in good working condition, they produce little CO. Improperly operating appliances can produce fatal CO concentrations in your home. Likewise, using charcoal indoors or running a car in a garage can cause CO poisoning.

SYMPTOMS OF CO POISONING Carbon monoxide poisoning can kill you.

The initial symptoms of CO are similar to the flu (but without the fever). They include:

  • Dizziness
  • Fatigue
  • Headache
  • Nausea
  • Irregular breathing

Remember, if you have any of these symptoms and if you feel better when you go outside your home and the symptoms reappear once you're back inside, you may have CO poisoning.

CLUES YOU CAN SEE

  • Rusting or water streaking on vent/chimney
  • Loose or missing furnace panel
  • Sooting
  • Loose or disconnected vent/chimney connections
  • Debris or soot falling from chimney, fireplace, or appliance
  • Loose masonry on chimney
  • Moisture inside of windows

CLUES YOU CANNOT SEE

Connect with Us
Follow Our Pins

Yummy recipes, DIY projects, home decor, fashion and more curated by iVillage staffers.

Follow Our Tweets

The very dirty truth about fashion internships... DUN DUN @srslytheshow http://t.co/wfewf

On Instagram

Behind-the-scenes pics from iVillage.

Best of the Web