Is a bird the right pet for me?
Any pet is a big responsibility, so be sure that you're prepared before you add a new member to your family. If you're thinking about adding a companion bird to your household, here are a few questions to ask yourself.
- Do I have the time and patience to work with a bird? A bird needs a minimum of 1/2 hour of undivided attention a day, not including play time on their gym or T-Stand
- Can I handle the mess? Birds are extremely messy and love to throw their food and water all over the walls and floors.
- Do I mind being a slave? Your schedule really does revolve around your feathered friend
- Can I provide adequate care for my bird? Have you researched the type of bird you're interested in? Do you know if it tends to be a screamer, feather picker, moody? Do you have an avian veterinarian in your area? Not all veterinarians treat birds
- Do I have the room for a large cage, playgyms, t-stands and anything else my fid might want?
- Will I take the time to chop up fruits and veggies, and prepare meals (that might not even be eaten)?
Find more information about companion birds.