If your hair is relaxed it is already dry. In the summertime, intense sun exposure will dry hair out even more -- so protection is important. Here are a few tips to keep your relaxed hair healthy in hot, dry or seaside climates.
- Deep condition your hair at least once a month, using a treatment on your locks for 15 minutes. Rinse it out thoroughly then follow with your normal hair care regimen. For more protection than regular rinse-out conditioners, apply Infusium 23 Heat Activated/UV Protection Leave-In Treatment with special UV filters.
- Use a daily moisturizing cream with sunscreen made specifically for chemically treated hair.
- Wear a scarf or hat on extremely hot days. It will protect your hair (and make you feel cooler.)
- Change your hairstyle if necessary. Consider pulling your hair back or braiding it for the hottest part of the season.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Avoid direct sunlight on your hair during peak hours, from noon to 3 PM.
- New York City stylist Derrick Scurry says, "Coating your hair (before you go out in the sun) with a moisturizing treatment is your best defense against blazing rays." Shield hair even further from harmful rays with, Rene Furterer Sun Mousse.