Child Poison Prevention

Where is your medicine? If it's on your bedside table, your kitchen counter, in your purse or anywhere within children's reach, you may be putting them at risk for accidental poisoning.

In 2004, the latest year for which data is available, more than 580,000 kids under age five were poisoned by prescription drugs and other medications such as vitamins, allergy medicine, or pain medication -- the cause of more poisonings than any other type of household product, according to Safe Kids. Children are especially susceptible to accidental poisoning because they are smaller and less physically able to handle toxic chemicals. Add to the mix their natural curiosity (and the fact that they tend to put everything they encounter in their mouths), and you get a real sense of the dangers your medicine cabinet may present.

Most of us are aware of the need to child-proof the bathroom cabinets, but, in reality, many accidental medication-related poisonings occur in other people's homes when a child visits '- often a grandparent's home. So even if you're confident that your home is up to snuff, read on to make sure your children stay safe wherever they go.

Store Medicine Safely
All medicines and other potentially poisonous household products should be locked out of children's sight and reach. Don't leave medicine in your purse or in an unlocked kitchen or bathroom cabinet. When you're a guest in someone's home, do a quick scan of rooms your child will spend time in. And in your home, don't forget to:

Like this? Want more?
preview
Connect with Us
Follow Our Pins

Yummy recipes, DIY projects, home decor, fashion and more curated by iVillage staffers.

Follow Our Tweets

The very dirty truth about fashion internships... DUN DUN @srslytheshow http://t.co/wfewf

On Instagram

Behind-the-scenes pics from iVillage.

Best of the Web