Photo Credit: Gettty Images
- Read labels to find out what can be poisonous. Keep those things separate from toothpaste, soap and other things you use every day, so your kids are less likely to encounter them.
- Never leave medicines or potentially poisonous household products unattended after taking them for use.
- Never leave out loose pills.
- Always choose child-resistant caps. Child-resistant packaging has prevented hundreds of child deaths since 1974, according to Safe Kids.
Supervise Your Children
It's up to you to monitor all contact between your children and medicines.
- Keep all medicines and potentially poisonous household products in their original packages for easy identification should your child ingest them.
- Always read labels, follow directions and measure medicines for children carefully. If a medicine comes with a dispenser, use it. Always turn on a light when giving medicines at night.
- Avoid taking medicine or vitamins in front of kids '- they might mimic you.
- Don't call medicine or vitamins "candy" or anything else that could allure a child.
- Don't involve children as helpers with your medication. They should not remind you to take medicine or bring you water, for example. Make sure older relatives follow this advice, too.
Strategize to Prevent Poisoning
If you suspect poisoning and a child is collapsing, choking, can't breathe or is having a seizure, call 911 or the local emergency number. Otherwise, take the product to the phone and call the poison control hotline. Keep the toll-free nationwide poison control center number (1-800-222-1222) near every phone in your home '- and store it into your cell phone, too.