Photo Credit: Gettty Images
- Poison control centers offer fast, free and confidential help in more than 140 languages. Most poisonings are resolved over the phone. The number works from anywhere in the U.S. 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Keep activated charcoal on hand, to be used only on the advice of a poison control center or a physician. Ipecac syrup should no longer be used at home, since it is often used improperly and active charcoal is more effective.
- Follow the operator's instructions. Don't make the child vomit or administer anything unless directed by the poison control center or a doctor.
You can find out more about accidental poisoning and steps to prevent it at www.usa.safekids.org.
If you think your child has been poisoned, look for evidence of vomiting or drowsiness, some of the substance around the child's mouth or on the teeth, or burns on the lips or mouth. You may be able to smell the product on your child's breath. Remember, there may be no symptoms right away, so call for help as soon as you have reason to suspect.