Adults love these cupcakes. So make more than you need for one event and freeze the rest. Stored in an airtight bag, they should keep up to two months.
Chocolate with Cabernet Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup cabernet sauvignon
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 18 Chocolate with Cabernet Cupcakes
- 2 cups lightly sweetened whipped cream
- 1/4 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon or cocoa powder, as garnish
Bake the cupcakes
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and prepare muffin pans with white paper baking cups.
2. Into the large bowl of an electric mixer, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and cocoa powder.
3. Add the oil, vanilla, eggs and wine.
4. Beat with the electric mixer at low speed for 30 seconds. Turn the mixer speed to high and continue beating for three minutes, scraping the sides occasionally.
5. Remove the bowl from the mixer and stir in the dried cherries. Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pans. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
1. Spoon a dollop of whipped cream on the center of the completely cooled cupcakes.
2. Add five to six bits of dried fruit and a dusting of cinnamon or cocoa powder.
Reprinted with permission of Sterling Publishing Co., Inc., from The Artful Cupcake: Baking and Decorating Delicious Indulgences by Marcianne Miller. ©2004, Lark Books.