Chronic Pain: Dealing Day-to-Day

Referrals to other specialists may be appropriate, such as and orthopedist for musculoskeletal conditions or a rheumatologist for conditions such as arthritis, fibromyalgia or lupus.

Different pain facilities offer different services, so it is important to find a facility that has the right expertise for treating your condition. Your doctor is usually the best resource for finding the appropriate pain experts. However, you may also :

  • Call local hospitals or medical centers to find out if they are affiliated with a pain treatment center. If there is no nearby center, you can contact you primary care doctor, who may be able to make a referral to a local pain specialist.
  • Call local schools of medicine affiliated with nearby state universities or private colleges. Find out if these facilities offer pain treatment.
  • Use the Internet to contact organizations such as the American Society of Anesthesiologists or the American Academy of Pain Medicine to find out more about potential local pain-management resources.

Before receiving any care, you should be sure the prospective pain specialist has the proper accreditation, preferably from a national organization such as the American Board of Anesthesiology, the American Society of Anesthesiologists or the American Academy of Pain Management. You should also contact your health insurance company to see if your costs will be covered.

Connect with Us
Follow Our Pins

Yummy recipes, DIY projects, home decor, fashion and more curated by iVillage staffers.

Follow Our Tweets

The very dirty truth about fashion internships... DUN DUN @srslytheshow

On Instagram

Behind-the-scenes pics from iVillage.

Best of the Web