Photo Credit: Ray Kachatorian
Every healthy lifestyle should include a little room for indulgence. Every once in a while, you should be able to have that dish that's so good, you just have to close your eyes and pause for a moment to take it all in. Good news. You can indulge in that dish more often if you find ways to cut calories from your favorite dishes. Natalie Morales, Ann Curry, and Hoda Kotb of the Today show and Italian chef Giada De Laurentiis all demonstrate how to cook lighter versions of their favorite dishes. Check out their segment and then try their recipes yourself.
Giada’s Lightened Up (Low-Fat/Low-Cholesterol) Tiramisu
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ cup egg beaters
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pound light cream cheese
- 1 and ½ cups espresso
- 24 ladyfingers
- 2 teaspoons rum
- ¼ cup shaved chocolate
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
Total: 300 calories/serving (serves 10)
- Beat eggs and sugar together, until thick and pale.
- Add cheese and beat until smooth.
- Add 1 tablespoon of espresso and mix until combined.
- In a small shallow dish, mix remaining espresso and rum.
- Dip each ladyfinger into mixture–only about 5 seconds to avoid getting soggy
- Arrange in 13x9 baking dish–break in half to fill bottom if needed.
- Spread half the cheese mixture over ladyfingers. Arrange another layer of soaked ladyfingers, and top with remaining cheese mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hours, and up to 8 hours.
- Sprinkle with chocolate shavings before serving.
Natalie’s Lightened Up Lasagna
- 1 pound ground beef (90/10 ground sirloin)
- 1 32-ounce tub low-fat ricotta cheese (called “light”)
- 1 large jar tomato sauce (Classic tomato and basil)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup 2% fat (low fat) shredded mozzarella
- No boil lasagna noodles
- ½ cup mushrooms
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup finely zucchini
- ½ cup onions
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Brown the meat, then add the veggies and sauté.
- Add the red sauce at let simmer.
- Make the cheese mix (separate bowl)- mix ricotta, Parmesan cheese, eggs, and parsley together.
- Layer: Meat sauce, noodles, cheese mix, top with ½ cup mozzarella.
- Bake at 375° for about 45 minutes until golden brown (cheese is crispy and golden).
Total: 390 calories/serving (serves 12)