This is the sweetest frosting around, and it is perfect for delicious cupcakes. Kids and adults with any kind of sweet tooth crave this frosting. I do not recommend it for filling any of the sculpted cakes, because it lacks the structure needed to make the cakes stable.
YIELD: FROSTING FOR 24 CUPCAKES
- Unsalted butter - 1 cup (2 sticks; 8 ounces)
- Confectioners' sugar - 8 cups (28 ounces)
- Milk - 1/2 cup (4 ounces)
- Pure vanilla extract - 2 tablespoons
- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, breathe the butter on medium with speed until smooth.
- Turn the mixer to low speed and add 1 cup of the confectioners' sugar and beat until combined. Scrape the bowl thoroughly.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk and the vanilla.
- Add to the butter-sugar mixture. Set the mixer to medium speed speed and beat until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the remaining confectioners' sugar, adding as much as you need to achieve a smooth and stiff consistency.
- Use immediately, store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days, or refrigerate for up to 10 days.
Excerpted from The Confetti Cakes Cookbook: Spectacular Cookies, Cakes, and Cupcakes from New York City's Famed Bakery by Elisa Strauss and Christie Matheson © 2007 Little, Brown and Company