- Prepare the cake batter as directed. Line the cupcake tins with wrappers. Fill each halfway with batter and bake the cupcakes as directed by the recipe. Let them cool completely.
- While cupcakes are cooking, prepare the frosting.
- Divide the rolled fondant into three equal portions and dye the portions light pink, light blue, and light green. Work with one color at a time and wrap the other two in plastic wrap until ready to use.
- Frost the cupcakes with a dome of filling. On a surface greased with shortening, roll out the fondant to 1/8 inch thick. Work with one color at a time. Use the round cookie cutter to cut circles of fondant. Smooth the circles onto the cupcakes.
- Once all the cupcakes are covered with fondant, make the polka dots. Roll out the desired color of fondant on the greased surface to approximately 1/16 inch thick. You will need about 16 dots per cupcake. Use the #10 tip to cut out the polka dots. Using a brush dampened with water, attach the polka dots to the surface of the cupcake.
- OPITONAL: Make bows out of ribbon and attach the ribbon with hot glue to the cupcake wrapper, about 2/3 of the way from the bottom of the cupcake.