My family is filled with sports fanatics, so I just love making these cupcakes to celebrate birthdays and sporting events. They are perfect dessert to accompany a barbeque or an afternoon watching the playoffs.
YIELD: 24 cupcakes
- 1 Cake recipe, any flavor. Click here for the vanilla cake or chocolate cake recipe
- 1 Frosting recipe
- 1/2 recipe Royal Icing
- 2 pounds fondant (store-bought)
- Shortening (for rolling out fondant)
- Food-coloring gels: lemon yellow, sunset orange, coal black
- Cupcake tins
- Red cupcake wrappers
- Small offset spatula
- Plastic mat
- Small rolling pin
- 2-inch round cookie cutter
- Gum-Paste veining tool or scalpel
- Pastry tips: #2, #3
- Pastry bag and coupler
- Red Food Marker
- Prepare the cake batter as directed. Line the cupcake tins with wrappers. Fill each halfway with batter and bake the cupcakes as directed by the recipe. Let them cool completely.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting.
- Divide the fondant into three equal portions. Keep one portion white and dye the other two orange and yellow. Work with one color and wrap the other two in plastic wrap until ready to use.
- Frost the cupcakes with a dome of filling. On a surface greased with shortening, roll out the fondant to approximately 1/8-inch thick, working with one color at a time. Use the round cookie cutter to cut out circles of fondant.
- Since the fondant dries quickly you will want to create the decorations for each cupcake as you cover it. Follow the directions for the particular sports cupcake you are making.