Elevate mashed potatoes! Creme Fraiche and shallots make these mashed potatoes a dish to savor.
- 1 1/4 pounds russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup creme fraiche (sour cream can be substituted)
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 large shallot, chopped very fine
- 1 to 2 teaspoons kosher salt (additional may be needed)
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper to taste
Cut the potatoes into eighths, and place in a large pot. Add 1 tablespoon kosher salt and enough water to cover the potatoes by 2 inches. Over high heat, bring to a boil and cook until tender, uncovered, about 20 to 25 minutes. Strain well.
Return the strained potatoes to the empty pot, and add the butter, creme fraiche and half-and-half. With a large fork or wooden spoon, smash the potatoes against the side of the pot. Stir in the shallots, and add salt and pepper. Add more salt if needed (these potatoes usually need a good amount of salt). If you like extra-creamy potatoes, add 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup more half-and-half.
Serve the potatoes '- piled high '- in a shallow dish. For a decorative touch, create swirls and S patterns in the potatoes with the back of a spoon.
©2005 iVillage Inc.; all rights reserved