The critics have spoken -- and they are applauding Heath Ledger.
In, what I would bet the farm on will be one of many posthumous acknowledgements for the actor, Heath was named Best Supporting Actor at last night's Critics' Choice Awards for his role as The Joker in this summer's The Dark Knight.
"Anyone who's seen any of the extraordinary work that Heath did knows that I can't presume to speak for him in any way, because his voice was as unique as it was original. But...I know that I speak for all of us when I say that working with him was one of the greatest experiences any of us ever had or probably ever will have," said director Christopher Nolan, who accepted the award of the dearly-departed's behalf.
The audience rose to their feet when Heath's name was called -- how sad that he wasn't here to see it.
Here's your full list of winners:
- Best Picture: Slumdog Millionaire
- Actor: Sean Penn, Milk
- Actress: (tie) Anne Hathaway, Rachel Getting Married; Meryl Streep, Doubt
- Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight
- Supporting Actress: Kate Winslet, The Reader
- Ensemble: Milk
-Director: Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire
- Screenwriter: Simon Beaufoy, Slumdog Millionaire
- Animated Feature: WALL-E
- Young Actor/Actress (Under 21): Dev Patel, Slumdog Millionaire
- Action Movie: The Dark Knight
-Comedy: Tropic Thunder
- Picture Made for Television: John Adams
- Foreign-Language Film: Waltz With Bashir
- Documentary: Man on Wire
- Song (Performer/Composer): "The Wrestler," Bruce Springsteen/Bruce Springsteen, The Wrestler
- Composer: A.R. Rahman, Slumdog Millionaire
- Joel Siegel Award: Richard Gere