Photo Credit: Tom Pennington/Getty Images
Tragedy struck the Las Vegas Motor Speedway on Sunday when two-time Indy 500 winner Dan Wheldon was killed in a 15-car wreck during the Las Vegas Indy 300.
"IndyCar is very sad to announce that Dan Wheldon has passed away from unsurvivable injuries," IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard said in a statement. "Our thoughts and prayers are with his family today."
Wheldon, a 33-year-old father of two, was airlifted to a hospital after the crash, and he passed away there.
Wheldon started in the back of the 34-car-field during the Las Vegas Indy 300, and was unfortunately behind the first wave of cars backed up in early-race wrecks. He had no time to avoid crashing into them, and his car ended up sailing over the fence around the track barrier. According to the Brit's fellow racecar drivers, there was evidence of the terrible crash all over the field.
"I've never seen anything like it. The debris we all had to drive through the lap later, it looked like a war scene from Terminator or something," Australian driver Ryan Briscoe, 30, told the Associated Press about the crash. "I mean, there were just pieces of metal and car on fire in the middle of the track with no car attached to it and just debris everywhere... Your first thoughts are hoping that no one is hurt, because there's just stuff everywhere. Crazy."
Having won the Indy 500 in 2005 and again earlier this year, Wheldon was one of the most beloved drivers in the game. He is survived by his wife Susie, and their two sons Sebastian, 2, and Oliver, 7 months.
Though the Las Vegas Indy 300 was canceled after the horrific accident, racers decided to drive five laps as a salute to Wheldon.