Name: Gregory "Dane" Patterson
Hometown: Mesa, Arizona
Favorite cheat food: Steak, potatoes and rolls w/ honey butter
Goal for 2009: Lose 200 pounds
Starting weight: 412 lbs
Elimination weight: 312 lbs
1. What was your big turning point-either during the show or before that made you realize you needed to lose the weight?
My turning point that made me realize that I needed to lose weight was when I became a father. At that point, I knew that other lives were depending on me to be around for them. I realized that selfishness was keeping me from doing something about it. I am grateful for the show for giving me such a great opportunity to do something great for my family by taking care of myself.
2. What is one thing you wish you had known before going on The Biggest Loser?
The one thing I wish I would have known before being on The Biggest Loser would be the Body Bugg. I have found it a great tool for losing weight. Before [the show] I had no idea how many calories I was burning or eating. All it takes is discipline and a little math to lose weight.
3. If you could have done one thing differently during the show, what would it be?
If I could have done one thing differently on the show it would be to not roll blue and be put on a team that would take me out when given the first opportunity.
4. What was the hardest thing to adapt to while being on the ranch?
The hardest thing to adapt to while being on the ranch was living without my family. Jillian's workouts and the eating was easy compared to being away from my wife and kids for so long.
5. What's the most helpful thing your partner did or said to motivate you?
The most helpful thing my partner did for me while being on the ranch was his humor kept me sane. Blaine is a big funny guy and he always had humor which made it easy to have fun.
6. What is your favorite workout?
My favorite workout would have to be my first one with Jillian. I'm glad it's over and I'll never have to experience that one again, but I learned a lot about myself during that workout. I learned that I can really push myself.
7. What's your favorite healthy meal or snack?
My favorite healthy snack on the ranch was the good old Varsity Pizza. This pizza was made up by the varsity team (Mandy, Blaine, Tara, and myself).
9. What do you think your weight-loss obstacles will be now that you're off the ranch and how do you plan to overcome them?
Now that I'm home, I have to learn how to continue my journey in a place and situation that allowed me to get up to 412 lbs. It's going to be hard, but I know with a lot of focus and determination that I can overcome my problem. I know that I will have hard times, but if I continue to chip away that I'll be at my goal weight by the finally which is to have lost 200 lbs.
10. What's the best advice Bob or Jillian has given you?
The best thing that Jillian has taught me is that I am a self motivator. I don't need someone in my face pushing me. It's in my head and I just need to utilize it more (or maybe I'm just crazy).
11. What happens behind the scenes of the show that no one would know from watching it?
[The show] had 22 good people who cared a lot about each other and just worked hard for the right reasons and not for the show.
12. What did you do for fun while you were on the ranch?
For fun on the ranch, Blaine and I would do just about anything. Most of the time we enjoyed giving the casting assistance a hard time.