Photo Credit: ABC
Series creator Marc Cherry confirmed on Saturday that the upcoming eighth season of Desperate Housewives will be its last, E! News reports. The cancellation news comes after months of speculation about the future of ABC's primetime soap, including a tip-off from star Felicity Huffman's husband, William H. Macy, earlier this summer.
"I wanted to go out when the network still saw us as a viable show and doing well in ratings," Cherry told reporters at the Television Critics Association's annual press tour. "I've worked in TV for 23 years and I'm very aware of shows that overstay their welcome. I wanted to go out in the classiest way possible… Harder than creating a hit show is knowing when to end it, especially when you have such an amazing cast."
Cherry told E! News it was "bittersweet and lovely" to inform his main Housewives -- Huffman, Eva Longoria, Marcia Cross and Teri Hatcher -- that the show would only have one more season on the air. "I love my cast... people are smart enough to be grateful," he added.
The final season of Desperate Housewives will premiere Sept. 25, and, according to an ABC press release, "will roll out in a way that is accessible even to viewers who may have lapsed in their viewing, and be all the richer and more rewarding for the series' loyal fans."