Sometimes you just know you've overdone it! Your mind is sluggish, your body feels uncomfortable and your energy levels are close to zero. It's time for a detox. This weekend cleanse is gentle and safe (yet still effective) and offers your body a rejuvenating break.
CAUTION: Don't detox when pregnant, breastfeeding, menstruating or with a cold or infection. If you have any medical problems, check with your doctor first.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
• Seasonal salads, fruits, and vegetables
• Herbal tea: thyme, ginger, peppermint • 10 pints (6 liters) of mineral water
• Six lemons
• Essential oils: rosemary, plus chamomile, pine or juniper
• Epsom salts (or mineral bath)
• Natural bristle brush with long handle
• Plenty of towels
• Candles, inspirational books, music
Find out how to have a relaxing Friday at home.
Eat a light diet throughout today in preparation for your weekend. Cut out tea, coffee and heavy proteins and fat. Drink at least 3 pints (2 liters) of unchilled water. Eat a light supper of salad (with a little olive oil, garlic, lemon and cider vinegar dressing). From now on, only drink fresh water (warm or room temperature), herbal tea or ginger tea.
Before you go to bed brush your skin
• Brush your feet, toes and soles and then the front and back of your legs (use long, smooth strokes). Always brush upwards and towards the groin.
• Brush your buttocks and lower back (as well as you can) using upward strokes.
• Brush your hands and arms towards your armpits.
• Brush across your shoulders and down the chest towards the heart (avoid your nipples).
• Brush the back of your neck with downward strokes.
• Using a circular, clockwise motion, brush your abdominal and stomach area.
Now have a bath to which you have added two drops of rosemary oil. Gradually add cool water until, over a period of about half an hour, the water is quite cold. This further stimulates the lymph.
Detox side effects
These side effects show you are getting rid of toxins. If you have any concerns, see your doctor.
• A headache
• More, or smellier, sweat
• Feeling unusual emotions
• A dry mouth
• Spots, pimples or rashes
A Saturday of purifying and renewal awaits you.
Today, follow a strict mono-diet by eating, or drinking the juice of, one type of fruit or vegetable: grapes, apples or carrots. Taking small amounts throughout the day, make sure you chew thoroughly and sip your juice slowly
Start the day with a mug of hot water and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Get out in the fresh air and take a good walk, noticing the world around you.