Divorce: Child Support FAQs

Does it cost anything to apply for Child Support Enforcement Services?

Anyone who is receiving AFDC, Medicaid, or Foster Care stipends do not have to pay for CSE services. Everyone else can be charged a fee of up to $25.00. Some states absorb all, or part, of the fee, and some states will collect the fee from the non-custodial parent. Check with your local CSE agency regarding your state policy.

Does it cost anything to receive services from CSE agencies?

CSE agencies can recover all, or part, of their fees from those who do not receive AFDC benefits. Fees can be deducted from child support payments, or collected from the non-custodial parent. Not all states recover the costs of their services so it's important to check with your local agencies regarding your state policies.

Do I need to know any of this since I have a lawyer?

Absolutely. We are always our own best advocates. By being well-informed and knowledgeable about child support guidelines and law, we can be certain that we ask the right questions and act on what is in our best interest.

Connect with Us
Follow Our Pins

Yummy recipes, DIY projects, home decor, fashion and more curated by iVillage staffers.

Follow Our Tweets

The very dirty truth about fashion internships... DUN DUN @srslytheshow http://t.co/wfewf

On Instagram

Behind-the-scenes pics from iVillage.

Best of the Web