Divorce: Child Support FAQs

Will I receive child support collected if I am on AFDC?

If you are on AFDC and the state is able to collect your child support, you will receive up to $50.00 each month from the support collected in addition to your regular grant from AFDC. The balance of the child support paid will go towards reimbursing the government for the benefits made to your family.

My ex owes me a lot of child support, but continuously shows up with brand new cars. How could this be allowed to happen? Aren't creditors aware of child support arrearages?

Not unless someone tells them! A report of child support arrearages must be made to the credit bureaus or they will not be properly informed. The law allows for child support arrearages to be placed on credit reports so creditors can be aware of their customers' complete financial picture. Someone just has to make it happen.

My ex pays me directly, but always bounces the child support checks. By the time I get paid it is always another 30 days or so. What can I do?

The law allows for a wage withholding when child support payments are behind 30 days or more. Child support payments would then be taken directly from your ex's pay eliminating the need for him or her to pay you directly. Also, it is a crime to bounce checks. Think about taking criminal action by reporting the bad check to your local police department.

What if my ex's employer refuses to withhold wages for child support?

Your ex's employer does not have a choice. Federal law dictates that an employer must withhold wages if ordered by a court to do so.

Connect with Us
Follow Our Pins

Yummy recipes, DIY projects, home decor, fashion and more curated by iVillage staffers.

Follow Our Tweets

The very dirty truth about fashion internships... DUN DUN @srslytheshow http://t.co/wfewf

On Instagram

Behind-the-scenes pics from iVillage.

Best of the Web