Photo Credit: Betsy Blundell
Getting a salon-style blowout comes down to following a few stylist-approved strategies.
1. Start by gently towel-drying your hair.
2. Next, blow dry with the nozzle removed until the hair is no longer soaking wet. Apply a straightening balm and hydrating cream on dry ends. Heat-protective styling products are also an excellent choice.
3. Divide your hair into two- to three-inch sections, using clips to secure the hair you are not working on.
4. Start with the sections in the back. Blow-drying your entire head can be hard on the arms, and the back of the head is the toughest part to reach. Underlying layers that are not dried completely will result in frizzy hair.
5. Place the large round brush at the base of the hair section, close to the scalp, and situate the dryer so that the brush is parallel to the nozzle. This will allow the heat to hit the hair evenly. Run the brush down the length of the hair, following with the dryer. You may have to redo certain areas, like the ends.
TIP: After a section is completely dry, check for dampness by pressing your palm against it. Your hair should be bone-dry before you move on to the next section. For areas where you want more lift or body, like the crown, be sure to position the hair upward, away from the head, as you dry.
6. After you are done drying all your hair, use hairdressing cream, pomade, or silicon drops to smooth out the hair. Apply a small amount to your hands, rub between the palms, and apply to the ends only.
Give yourself a basic blowout with our Virtual Makeover tool now!
Other styles you might like:
WATCH: How to give yourself a basic blowout