Your iVillage Flash Poll Results Are In! Did Lady Gaga Go Too Far?

The theatrical singer is being criticized for using blasphemy as entertainment in her "Alejandro" video. What do you think?

Update: Your iVillage Flash Poll results are in! After tallying your answers to the question "Does Lady Gaga's New Video Go Too Far?" we can report that 52 percent of readers are just fine with Gaga's boundary-pushing theatrics. It was a close race, and the other 48 percent aren't impressed by her use of Catholic imagery. But if there's one thing Gaga does well, it's stir up controversy! Keep chiming in below with your opinions, no matter which side you're on!


Fans of Lady Gaga are used to the star pushing the envelope when it comes to her clothing, her performances and especially her music videos. And while Gaga usually shocks audiences with overt sexuality and violence, this time she's adding another element: dark religious themes.

In her "Alejandro" video (above), which premiered Tuesday, the singer  dresses in a latex nun's habit and swallows a rosary, and the scenes have kicked off a bit of controversy. Pop star Katy Perry is known for her dirty mouth and sexy dance moves, but apparently she doesn't take kindly to what she considers sacrilege. The "I Kissed a Girl" singer, who got her start in gospel music and whose parents are pastors, tweeted her disapproval on Tuesday: "Using blasphemy as entertainment is as cheap as a comedian telling a fart joke."

Now celebrity blogger Perez Hilton has stepped in to defend his pal. "I am a fan of both Katy Perry and Lady Gaga and a friend to both," he told MTV News. "Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I have one and I share it. I just think that maybe the word 'cheap' wasn't the most appropriate word to describe Gaga and her video."

It seems the provocative video has also created a divide among iVillage readers. Here's what some of you had to say:

"I previewed it and will not allow it in my home."

"No, that's what she does -- she's a performance artist who likes to shock."


"Definitely don't want my 12 yr old daughter watching it...I don't even want to watch it. Love her music but not feeling this video."

"She's a genius. This video is like a dose of medicine, not a scandal. I hope she continues to open people's minds."

So what do you think? Does Lady Gaga's video go too far? Vote in our poll above and let us know what your opinions! Voting ends June 10 at 9 a.m. EST.

Does Lady Gaga's "Alejandro" video go too far? Chime in below!

Like this? Read these:
- Lady Gaga Shocks Us (Again!) with Her Latest Video
- PHOTOS: Lady Gaga's Kookiest Couture
- PHOTOS: Listen Up! Hottest Summer Tours

Connect with Us
Follow Our Pins

Yummy recipes, DIY projects, home decor, fashion and more curated by iVillage staffers.

Follow Our Tweets

The very dirty truth about fashion internships... DUN DUN @srslytheshow

On Instagram

Behind-the-scenes pics from iVillage.

Best of the Web