Time to leave the nest? Don't sacrifice cool, if you have to leave for school. Do it up on a dime with lots of color, like lemon and lime. String rows of flowers on the window in no time.
Trying to fit it all in a nutshell? We took a space-crunched New York University dorm and turned it into dorm heaven. Check out our space saving ideas:
- Don't leave home without this super "hot" Half-Pint Microwave from Sharp, in lots of candy colors. Just $98.99 from compactappliance.com.
- Turn CDs into instant wall art with CD Poster Frames from cdframes.com for $19.95.
- Assume the butterfly position with this foldable butterfly chair from qualitytrading.com for $34.95.
- Light it up with this great hanging beaded lamp from articles.com, only $34.95.
- Go on the road with this modern steel trunk from stacksandstacks.com for $99.95.
- Keep colorful tulips all year round with inflatable ones at bubblechair.com for $4.95.
- Scoot to class with razor wheel scooters in bright colors from sharperimage.com for $99.95.
Watch Video: Hints & Tips for Dorm Decorating
Eat. Study. Sleep. That about sums up the dorm experience, so why not do it in style?
- Start with colorful bedding from the thecompanystore.com: LaCrosse II Down Comforter for $89, Lechlade Cotton blanket for $60, Square Canvas Pillows for $20.
- Put CD's on the wall with CD Poster Frames from cdframes.com for $19.95.
- Edward Hopper's "Gas", available at momastore.org for $14.95.
- Hide your knick knacks in these frosted storage boxes from crateandbarrel.com for $7.95 or underbed drawers from stacksandstacks.com for $60 for two.
- Don't hide your laundry, display it with pride in this bag from stacksandstacks.com for $8.95.
- Frame it up with great ones from articles.com, starting at $4.95.
"Will Study For Food" ...it's a college student's mantra, so make your desk worth studying at with accessories like:
- Tie Dyed velvet desk set from articles.com starting at $7.95.
- Steel Swing Arm Table Lamp from collegiate.com for $58.25.
- Shagg-O-Delic feather mirror from sweetliving.com for $30.
- Magazine files from stacksandstack.com for $6.95.
- For extra lighting, put up inexpensive tap lights and decorate them with stickers or lettering.
- Paint an old bulletin board with a blue sky and clouds so your dorm room will always have a view.
- Find old school lockers at thrift shops for extra cheap storage. Ours cost $30.