Photo Credit: Getty Images News
The doctor is still in -- for now.
At a court proceeding Monday in Los Angeles, a newly appointed judge, Michael Pastor, ruled that Michael Jackson's doctor, Dr. Conrad Murray, can continue to practice medicine until the next court date, which is set for June 14. At that hearing it is expected that he will decide whether Murray, who has been charged with manslaughter in the King of Pop's death, will keep his California medical license, or if it should be suspended pending trial, at the request of the state attorney general.
"We’re relieved that the doctor can continue to earn a living," Murray's spokesperson Miranda Sevcik said in a statement.
Those not so relieved? Jackson's family, whose attorney says, "Mr and Mrs. Jackson were both upset that nothing had happened in regard to the attorney general request. They thought that was strange. Nothing was done. They feel that the case is moving at a snail's pace and the charges are still insufficient."
It was reported last week that Joe Jackson was moving ahead with a civil lawsuit against Murray, who is accused of administering a lethal dose of the anesthetic propofol, which killed the singer.
Jackson fans surrounded the courthouse on Monday, singing "We are the World" and wearing T-shirts that read "Justice for Michael."
"It’s been brutal," Conrad Murray's rep told US magazine of the backlash. "He has not been found guilty of anything, yet he’s been treated as though he has. It's been difficult. He’s been concentrating on taking care of his patients and family and working really hard."
Should Dr. Conrad Murray's license be suspended? Chime in below!