With a little paint, jewels and trim, plain pillar candles can be transformed into fanciful accessories for your home. Stash them in a gift basket or use them to decorate the table at your next dinner party.
What you'll need:
- An assortment of pillar candles (any shape, size or color)
- Flexible plastic stencils
- Light blue, yellow, pink and green paint (craft stores carry special paint for wax)
- Sponge or brush
- Hot glue gun
The level of difficulty is up to you. If the simple addition of a pretty grosgrain ribbon works for you, great! If you really want to go all out, follow the directions below. The possibilities are endless!
- Wipe down candles with rubbing alcohol and a lint-free cloth to help prep the surface for painting
- Wrap the flexible plastic stencil around your candle and tape it into place
- Load your paintbrush or sponge with paint, tap the brush on a paper towel to remove excess paint and then lightly tap the brush on the stencil to fill in the spaces
- Be fearless with the layering of colors '- it will take more than one coat! Let dry and then carefully remove the stencil
- Add some deliciousness to your candle by wrapping ribbon around the base
- Glue costume jewelry, beads, buttons or rhinestones to your creation for a vintage-chic touch