Photo Credit: David Livingston/Getty Images
For nearly 13 years, The View has been airing daily on ABC, and its success has inspired copycat shows in places as far-flung as Ecuador, the Netherlands, and Norway. Now another View knock-off is headed for the airwaves, from the exotic land of... Los Angeles? That's right: CBS is developing their own spin on the format created by Barbara Walters.
This fall, the 54-year-old soap opera As the World Turns will leave CBS and be replaced with a new daily talk show, hosted by a panel of famous moms. The as-yet-unnamed show (Not The View, perhaps?) will feature:
- Julie Chen, 40, Big Brother host and Early Show anchor
- Sharon Osbourne, 57, music maven and America's Got Talent host
- Holly Robinson Peete, 45, Celebrity Apprentice finalist, activist and actress
- Leah Remini, 40, former King of Queens star
- Sara Gilbert, 35, Roseanne and Big Bang Theory actress
- Marissa Jaret Winokur, Broadway star and Dance Your A** Off host
So how will the new show stack up against our daily gabfest with Whoopi, Sherri, Joy and Elisabeth? For ABC's hit show, Walters set out to assemble women who were as smart as they were different (the early panel of attorney Star Jones, award-winning young journalist Lisa Ling, news anchor Meredith Viera and show biz veteran Joy Behar set the tone). In contrast, the CBS show will star famous moms primarily known for their previous work on TV. It's a panel that clearly aims for diversity: Moms in their 30s and 40s (matriarch Osbourne is 57), Remini is a Scientologist, Gilbert is a lesbian -- but will there be enough diversity to inspire the everybody-gabbing-then-yelling-over-each-other moments that make The View compulsively watchable?
Chances are fans will be partial to the New York ladies of The View. But we'll still tune in to this knock-off -- because we love that networks continue giving women a platform to speak their minds. And that can only be a good thing!
Do you think you'll like the new CBS talk show more than The View? Chime in below!
Like This? Read These:
- The View Offends GLAAD with Their Take on HIV
- Kate Gosselin: Back on The View
- The View Showdown: Joy Behar vs. Jersey Shore
- Elisabeth Hasselbeck Talks Returning to The View