Everything You Want to Know About Agency Adoption

(12 Photos)

Elena Mauer on Dec 1, 2010 at 4:01PM

chime in now
 
Everything You Want to Know About Agency Adoption

Getty

a Elena Mauer on Dec 1, 2010 at 4:08PM

If adoption is your path to parenthood, then think of an agency as an expert guide -- its employees will help lead you through the paperwork and the process to reach your child (who could be clear across the world!). But is agency adoption right for you? And what can you expect if you do it? Here are answers your biggest questions about finding and working with your “partner” on the road to parenthood.

What Is an Adoption Agency?

An adoption agency is an organization that’s licensed to facilitate and complete adoptions in a given state or country -- they can be public (like the foster care system) or private; connected to religious organizations or social outreach programs or completely independent; and they can be for profit or not-for-profit. In 2001 (the last year with significant adoption statistics), 54 percent of all adoptions were done through public agencies (i.e. the foster care system) or intercountry agencies, while the remaining 46 percent were domestic adoptions through private agencies, attorneys or other private means.

 

    Loading slides...
Best of the Web
Connect with Us
Follow Our Pins

Yummy recipes, DIY projects, home decor, fashion and more curated by iVillage staffers.

Follow Our Tweets

The very dirty truth about fashion internships... DUN DUN @srslytheshow http://t.co/wfewf

On Instagram

Behind-the-scenes pics from iVillage.