Sing, sing a song... together! Plan a family sing-along around your and your kids' favorite children's music. Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear (as Big Bird always sang) -- part of the fun is learning the tunes and lyrics together!
What you'll need:
- CD player or karaoke machine
- CDs of children's music
- Books with song lyrics (optional)
Suggested CDs and Song Lyrics
- Classic Disney (Box Set)
- The Best of Schoolhouse Rock
- Free to Be You and Me
- For Our Children (10th Anniversary Edition)
- Children's Sing-Along Favorites
- Songs from the Street: 35 Years of Music
- Illustrated Treasury of Disney Songs
- The Really Big Book of Children's Songs
What you'll do:
Allow each child and adult to pick one or more songs for which he or she will be the "song leader." Arrange a performance space with the CD or karaoke machine in the center (or, if you have a piano -- and a pianist -- near that), and have everyone sit around it. Have each leader get up and practice his or her song along with the track from the CD, and then "teach" the rest of the family the words (you might be surprised at how much better they pick up on the lyrics than you do!).