Photo Credit: Gettty Images
Does Dad have a sweet tooth? If so, he'll love this treat! Ask Mom to assist with this.
Ingredients you will need:
- One bag of pretzels. Logs work well for this, but you can try any of the medium to thick variety of twists.
- Two bags of chocolate chips (dark or milk chocolate -- Dad's preference)
- One teaspoon of butter
- Colored non-pareils, sprinkles, coconut or chopped nuts
- Double-boiler to melt the chocolate, or microwave-safe bowl
- Kitchen tongs and spoon
- Waxed paper
- 2 cookie sheets
Clear a space on the table or at the kitchen counter to work. This can be a bit messy, but it's lots of fun. Set out the pretzels on a plate, along with plates of non-pareils, sprinkles, coconut or chopped nuts to roll the pretzels in (or spoon over the dipped pretzels.)
- Melt one bag of chocolate at a time, along with one teaspoon of butter. Melting in the microwave is safest when working with your kids. Melt chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl for one minute and stir. If more heating is necessary, microwave 15 seconds at a time, stirring until smooth. If using the top of a double-boiler on the stove, Mom should melt chocolate gradually. Bring the heated chocolate to work table, placing far from the reach of children to prevent burns. Chocolate can be gently reheated if it gets too hard to easily dip.
- Using tongs or a spoon, quickly dip pretzels in chocolate or hold with tongs and spoon on chocolate, allowing the excess to run off. Place dipped pretzels on wax paper lined cookie sheets.